Thursday, January 10, 2013

Get it together.

     Twice the Lord says to Job, "Gird up your loins like a man, I will question you, and you declare to me" (38:3 and 4:7, NRSV). The NIV says, "Brace yourself like a man;" ESV states, "Dress for action like a man;" and NKJV says, "Now prepare yourself like a man." Does this mean something?
     The Message interprets the phrase as, "Pull yourself together, Job! Up on your feet! Stand tall!" This to me is an image of a drill sergeant. Like, we have to be at a tension in order for God to communicate with us. Is this true, or is this just a sign that what's coming next is especially important? I don't know about you, but when I'm greiving grieving, I have a very difficult time standing tall. 
     Chapters 38-40 are seeming to be God's retort to Job's incessant woes. Not that Job isn't merited--I would not have held myself together as well in his shoes--but God just lays it out for him in a "Look, here's the deal: I am God; who are you," type of attitude, talking about how he commands the skies, the seas, the mountains, and the animals, etc. These three chapters just brought a whole new complexity to my idea of who God is. I always picture the white robe, with the facial hair, 40 feet tall, with a 10-feet foot smile, glowing, and moving his hands ever so gently, in a supine, cupped, holding-a-puppy position, so as to say, "Welcome." HA! That's an All-American God right there. This is a very "Stop pussyfooting around and get it together, you hot mess!" type of God. 
     All in all, I don't know what to do with this. I guess, pull myself together?! God, this is so counterintuitive counter-intuitive to the idea and image I hold of you. Thank you that my knowledge of you continues to grow each day. I don't know understand why stability is necessary. I've been told so many times before that I can accomplish nothing without You, yet Your word is leading me to believe that I've got to have it together. Is that what this means? Please, give me the wisdom and discernment to apply this to my life, my love, and my relationship with You. In your Son's name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment